Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Terminator Scenerio
So I've been reading that our military machines are getting smarter everyday and will one day be making battlefield decisions on their own, things such the Predator UAV. That said I have also read that many countries are demanding that limits be placed on how far this will go based on fears of man vs machine but the US government is ignoring all that and doing as they please saying it isn't possible to have a machine that smart. Do you think we are in danger of someday being slaves and fuel for our creations?
(01-30-2011, 05:57 AM)JayCeeS Wrote: So I've been reading that our military machines are getting smarter everyday and will one day be making battlefield decisions on their own, things such the Predator UAV. That said I have also read that many countries are demanding that limits be placed on how far this will go based on fears of man vs machine but the US government is ignoring all that and doing as they please saying it isn't possible to have a machine that smart. Do you think we are in danger of someday being slaves and fuel for our creations?

Well, just in a lighthearted way, I would like to point out that the human body is the greatest machine, and computer that has been 'created' to our knowledge, to date. Are we slaves, or lab Rats to our 'creators?'

Just thinking out loud here... Smile

I think we shouldn't research too much in the military aspect, but that is unrelated to AI. I don't think that we will be able to create a machine that is that smart. We aren't even able to figure out how most of our own brain works, hence I don't assume we will be able to recreate something even remotely like that Smile

Laurie, I have actually thought in the past whether we are something like lab rats to a higher being ^^
There was a recent article that discussed the dangers to humanity that true AI poses. I can't remember what the scenario is called but scientists had a name for it. The article said that they aren't worried about Terminator scenarios. They worry about creatign an AI that is smart enough to improve itself and in short order it thinks faster than humans can even comprehend. I doesn't even need to be hostile to humans. It simply has to consider us 'just another resource to be exploited'. If their scenario came to pass there isn't anything we could do to save ourselves. It would have control of all systems planet wide before we even knew there was a problem. You just flip a switch and turn on the end of our species.
It sounds interesting. I believe we are far more likely to create a machine that is dangerous to us by itself than a machine that can think for itself, though.
Thinking is more than just a process of trial and error and saving errors to not repeat them again. But if we continue this thought, a machine may have enough "memory" to act in a way that looks smart to us, perhaps.
Well, just to put the Cat amongst the Pidgeons, Wink

Quote:Robots that can think for themselves could soon be caring for our children and the elderly and policing our streets, say experts.
Scientists told yesterday of a new generation of robots which can work without human direction.

They predict that in the next five years robots will be available for child-minding, to work in care homes, monitor prisons and help police trace criminals.

And while it may sound like something out of a science-fiction film, the experts say advances in technology have made the thinking robot possible…

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/a...elves.html

What? What? I just had to do it, soz... Angel
Everything could be possible, I guess. All I do know by some certainty is that they aren't able to feed old people and things like that at the moment, but technology changed and developed so much in such a short time so far, that I think it could be happen. Not in the next five years, I believe, but somewhen later
(01-30-2011, 05:57 AM)JayCeeS Wrote: So I've been reading that our military machines are getting smarter everyday and will one day be making battlefield decisions on their own, things such the Predator UAV. That said I have also read that many countries are demanding that limits be placed on how far this will go based on fears of man vs machine but the US government is ignoring all that and doing as they please saying it isn't possible to have a machine that smart. Do you think we are in danger of someday being slaves and fuel for our creations?

Interesting question, JayCeeS. I've seen several documentaries that mention this as one possible way that human race will become extinct, so Skynet here we come. Tongue

Seriously? Who knows? An expert in the field says artificial intelligent will surpass human intelligence by 2020. Guess we'll find out then.

[Image: TerminatorTag-Kim.gif]

Make beautiful graphics at Graffix Hangout.
I just watched a documentary about small robots that could learn to recreate itself from standard minerals and such on our planet, hence there may be a day when they don't need us anymore and still get a higher and higher population ^^
(01-30-2011, 11:36 AM)Tazeden Wrote: I just watched a documentary about small robots that could learn to recreate itself from standard minerals and such on our planet, hence there may be a day when they don't need us anymore and still get a higher and higher population ^^

Sounds like the replicators on Stargate. Scary stuff.
Make beautiful graphics at Graffix Hangout.