Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
District 9
Anybody see this? What did you think? If circumstances forced extraterrestrials to stay here and live on earth with humans, would we treat them the way they were treated in the film? For anybody who hasn't seen it, I won't give too much away, but they were forced to live in camps and subjected to the kind of horrors only the most bigoted part of human nature can inflict.

It was ok... I could see how we as a society could take all their tech and lock them up in some type of ghetto. It is amazing how we can only think of ourselves to gain advantage over others.
Napman (Rob)
...Ask questions get answers...
(01-29-2011, 12:51 AM)Napman Wrote: It was ok... I could see how we as a society could take all their tech and lock them up in some type of ghetto. It is amazing how we can only think of ourselves to gain advantage over others.

It's true, but I think we're hardwired to think that way. It's what helped us get to the top of the food chain.

our brain is what helped us to the top of the food chain Smile

I saw district 9 in the theater when it came out.
At first I thought it was cool but it became a drama film instead of an action packed sci-fi movie. Overall it was OK it wasn't the best film I've ever seen.
I don't think on our doorstep things would have gone the way they were shown in that movie.
An alien mothership orbiting the sky of one of planet earth's cities is more or less likely to be greeted with missiles than a search party with all due respect Smile

Though an event like that could once and for all prove to anyone that there are extraterrestrial life. I would like it more if we had Mass relays and Asari girls but that would have to accompany the reapers...I don't like them..

~Xeo
Alive2Play - A website for gamers!
I haven't seen the film, and I don't expect I'm likely to... however, in answer to your question, 'Would we treat them like that?' No, I don't believe we'd ever get the chance to, personally.

If they're here (and nothing could pursuade me that they aren't, or that they haven't been with us since the dawn of time), then they are so far in advance from us technologically, and unquestionably spiritually (if the contact stories are true), that I think we'd have a hard time containing them.

Scientists have now announced that there are definitely other universes beyond ours. See link: http://www.technologyreview.com/blog/arxiv/26132/

And that's without the acceptance of Parallel universes...

The quantity is unknown, but there are likely to be myriad universes, which would rather tend to make us as a grain of sand on an ocean bed. We're just a minute part of the cosmic whole, and couldn't contain much more than our own species...

With the number of different 'species of Alien visitors' that are reported by millions around the globe, one would have to be naive not to expect them to outnumber us. There's no question that our own technology doesn't match theirs, if Lt. Colonel Corso, and others like him are to be believed.

(01-29-2011, 11:27 AM)Xeo Wrote: our brain is what helped us to the top of the food chain Smile

True dat! I think that following our survival instinct is part of our intelligence, though. Smile

Quote:
I don't think on our doorstep things would have gone the way they were shown in that movie.
An alien mothership orbiting the sky of one of planet earth's cities is more or less likely to be greeted with missiles than a search party with all due respect

Actually, I think they'd be more likely to hit us before we hit them. I don't think they'd be friendly like they are in the movies. ;-P

Laurie, that multiverse theory is very interesting, indeed. As are parallel universes.

And I also agree that they'd be technologically advanced. One of the problems I have with the idea that some of have of extraterrestrials secretly plotting with the government is that I don't see why they'd need to. I think if they've advanced to the point of space travel, the governments of earth aren't really all that much of concern or threat to them.
(01-29-2011, 12:18 PM)Graffikgal Wrote: Laurie, that multiverse theory is very interesting, indeed. As are parallel universes.

Graffikgal, I'm glad you found the link interesting. Here's another one on parallel universes:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/science/horizon/200...luni.shtml

Quote:And I also agree that they'd be technologically advanced. One of the problems I have with the idea that some of have of extraterrestrials secretly plotting with the government is that I don't see why they'd need to. I think if they've advanced to the point of space travel, the governments of earth aren't really all that much of concern or threat to them.

Well, I think I would tend to agree with you to a certain extent, that they are probably not 'plotting' with any government, or 'New World Order' organization. To be honest, I don't believe they need to, nor do I believe they wish to...

However, I do think, since there is some somewhat interesting literature, and some 'apparent copies of classified documents' purporting to show that Eisenhower made some sort of treaty with 'The Grey's,' of which the latter allegedly reneged on, that generally, where there is smoke there is fire...

Having said that, I firmly believe that we don't now, nor ever will hold the upper hand, if and when they make themselves 'known.' Smile

I saw District 9 a while back, I personally really enjoyed it, and found it to be somewhat realistic. It's also interesting to note that this movie was made with a very low budget for Hollywood standards. I would recommend it to anyone who has yet to see it.
District 9 was an excellent movie, I really enjoyed it myself. What they achieved with the budget they had as well as a cast of virtual unknowns was remarkable. Its nice to see someone actually take a chance with a film instead of hiring the same old people over and over.